I want to share a great free resource for parents. This is a message I recently wrote up for our YouthSTAR parents that I thought others would benefit from. It contains a link to a free seminar I did last week called “Dangerous Access: Protecting Children from the Path of Pornography”, with followup questions for parents. I hope you find it helpful.
Dear YouthSTAR Parents,
In the place of the parent night this quarter, I would like all parents to do watch the following seminar (see below) and answer the questions that follow. Please note that this seminar has some faith-based language in it. Even though YouthSTAR is not faith-based, I believe the content contained herein will benefit all parents regardless of their religious orientation.
Thank you for the efforts you are making to help your teenager with their recovery. I believe your investment in their growth will make a lasting difference in their life for years to come.
Please click on the following link then go to the seminar from January 5th called “Dangerous Access” (Please do not show this presentation to your teens but feel free to share it with other parents):
Please answer the following questions after watching the video:
1. What devices are in your home that have a screen or can access the internet?
2. Have you set up a plan to protect each of those devices from accessing pornography?
3. Do you know your teenager’s passwords to all of their accounts (email, Facebook, social media, devices, etc)?
4. Do you have a system for screening the media your teenager watches?
5. Have you set up a “checking agreement” with your teenager?
6. What are you doing to deepen your relationship with your teenager?
7. Are you willing to seek help for any addictions
you may be struggling with as parents, knowing that this will impact your relationship with your children?
8. What boundaries and rules around internet use could you set up in your home?
9. Do you have an accountability plan set up with your teenager for checking in about his sobriety and YouthSTAR
10. Is there anything else you learned from the video that you want to implement in your home or with your relationship with your teenager?
11. How is your “Parent Homework” progressing?
12. Please spend some time to talk with your teenager about what you learned and what you want to implement. Encourage your teenager and affirm them for their courage to pursue recovery.
If you benefitted from this seminar or these questions, I invite you to comment. If you or someone you know could benefit from a program like YouthSTAR
, I invite you to contact us.